The GlobalProtect VPN allows a user from a remote location, public network or Internet service, to securely connect to protected University resources that are not accessible off-campus, e.g., file servers, print servers, SQL servers, remote logins to computers. Using the VPN ensures that University resources are accessed in a secure manner. The VPN is ideal for accessing sensitive data, such as HIPAA, FERPA and Research data, when not on the University campus.
All employees have been provided a VPN account but still need to download the software/client.
GLOBALPROTECT VPN CLIENT QUICK INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
For Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac
- Browse to https://vpn.louisville.edu and log in, going to will not load anything.
- Choose a client to download and install.
- When the client prompts to login the Portal parameter is vpn.louisville.edu
- When you have successfully connected there will be a "services connected" systray popup.
For Google Android or Apple iOS
- Search the application store for "globalprotect vpn".
- The application is GlobalProtect from Palo Alto Networks.
- Use vpn.louisville.edu for the Server (Android) or Portal (iOS) parameter
Operating System Support
- Windows 8.1-10; 32 and 64-bit.
- Apple Mac OS 10.13 through 11
- Apple iOS 10 or later
- Google Android 6.0 or later
How do I access my university network drive (H: and I:) files?
If you login with GlobalProtect Mac VPN client but the connection is hanging:
If you try and login to the GlobalProtect VPN client but the connection fails and you get this Warning/Error message, "Cannot connect to root\cimv2" follow these steps.
- Open an Administrator command/powershell prompt
- Run "winmgmt /verifyrepository" to confirm that the WMI repository is corrupt.
- Run "winmgmt /salvagerepository" to try and repair the WMI repository
- If the salvagerepository did not succeed, run "winmgmt /resetrepository", you may have to run this command twice.
What makes the VPN secure?
The VPN uses cryptographic protocols to provide secure connectivity over the Internet. Communications from a remote computer with the VPN client to University resources will be encrypted as they traverse the Internet.
How do I get a VPN account?
Go to ULink and login with your credentials once logged in locate the Information Technology block then click on the Computer Accounts link and under Request-able Accounts click the box next to VPN 1: Campus and click save. Your account will be created within minutes, you will not receive a separate notification.
How do I allow someone who is not an employee/faculty such as a 3rd party technical support or researcher access to the VPN to connect to a University IT computer resource?
This known as a Sponsored Account, you will need to request the account for the individual that will need access to the IT resource using the VPN.
How do I access a wireless device using the VPN?
Wireless devices are not accessible over the University VPN system.
What if I am having trouble connecting to the VPN is there someone I can call?
Yes you can contact the IT Help Desk at 502-852-7997